Monday, June 22, 2009

Caring for Your Makeup Brushes



I am always asked about brushes and how to care for them. I am working on a post about types of brushes to buy but today's focus is care. 

When you buy your brushes you don't want to throw our money away so care is the best way to make your brushes stand the test of time. Clients always ask me what type of brushes I use because they are so soft, well really it comes down to the fact that I care for my brushes.

Firstly please remember the main reason for cleansing your brushes is to rid them of bacteria that can not only harm your brushes but your skin as well. Not washing your brushes can lead to breakouts that will not go away as every time you use the brush it spreads the bacteria. Cleansing your brushes will solve this problem easily.

First of all I wash my personal brushes once a week, as well as using a brush cleaner (alcohol based) after each use. When I wash my brushes I use a gentle cleanser such as baby shampoo so as not to harm the bristles and have even been known to condition my brushes on occasion to keep them soft. After creating dramatic looks where a lot of makeup is used I will often use a stronger shampoo in order to really cleanse the product away. Try as much as possible to keep water out of the barrel or shaft of the brush by washing them on their side and laying them flat to dry. Keeping them upright will cause water to get into the glue allowing the brush to fall apart before it's time.

As a final note PLEASE do NOT use the little pads that come in your powders etc. These are breeding grounds for bacteria as product combines with oils from your skin. If you must use these applicators from time to time please spray with brush cleaner to destroy some of the bacteria.

I hope this answers all your questions. If you require more info please leave it in the comments below and I will do my best to answer them!

No comments: